The 2013 campaign planned to complete the investigation of the large polygonal enclosure and other finds. The area uncovered by a mechanical digger was limited to 125 m2 towards the south and west.
On the settlement terrace occupied by structures 10, 9, and 11, the excavation of house 11 was completed with the emptying of the well below wall 598. The almost square area of stone paving in front of House 9 was removed.
The area along the inner side of the polygonal enclosure was examined. An oval burial came to light, tomb 9/13 (not excavated), below the lowered part of the south wall (US 909). Wall 909 had at least three courses constructed in a herringbone pattern. Tomb 10/13 lay below the north wall (US 617), under a substantial covering. It contained thirteen artefacts datable to the 5th century B.C. Evidence of the earliest construction phase was provided by part of an L-shaped wall (US 1040) exposed at the level of the lowest occupation surface inside the north-western sector of the enclosure together with a series of posholes. Tomb 7/13, situated between the postholes and structure 14, had been robbed.
A structure (US 959 a-d) was uncovered to the south of the enclosure. It had two phases, of which the earliest phase was almost rectangular in plan. The later phase was attested by a north-south wall. Ten postholes were scattered around the site (US 994-999, 1001-1004), attesting the date of the huts.
Further south, a new structure came to light (16), 2.70 × 1.80 m in size, only half of which was excavated. Close to structure 16, an area of stones, tile and pottery fragments, 4 × 2.65 m, was exposed that covered, at its centre, a pit lined with lime. The pit was almost circular, 0.70 m in diameter and 0.33 m deep and filled with sterile clayey soil. This was a cult area, an “oikos” for the making of sacrifices.
The necropolis investigated in previous years was seen to continue in zone J, the western part of the excavation area. The new area was a cemetery for foetuses, newborns, and infants, an unusual find at least for Daunian Ascoli Satriano. To date, five infant burials have been identified within a limited area.
Tomb 1/13 was a small pit (0.25 × 0.15 m) lined with cobbles and bordered by small stones and pottery fragments. The grave was covered by fragments of a large pottery storage vessel. It contained a sub-geometric Daunia I single-handled cup decorated with solar symbols, nine amber beads, a triangular bone amulet, and other small decorative elements that give a date of the 7th to 6th century B.C.
Tomb 2/13 was situated at a short distance from tomb 1/13. It had no covering and was only identifiable by a few skeletal remains lying on a bed of cobblestones. The rich tomb group of three bronze boat fibulae, three triangular bone amulets and other elements of personal ornament date the tomb to the second half of the 7th century B.C. Two almost circular structures of small stones appeared to the east and western sides of tomb 2/13, which together with nine other examples in the area can be identified as bases on which funerary rituals were performed. Two 7th century B.C. enchytrismos burials completed this group of tombs. In addition, a pit grave (8/13) with the remains of four infants and a tomb group of 19 artefacts dating to the 5th century B.C. was excavated. East of this burial there were two robbed “a grotticella” tombs (3/13 and 6/13) and a large earth grave, tomb 11/13, dating to the 5th century B.C.
- Astrid Larcher - Università di Innsbruck, Istituto di Archeologia Classica e Provinciale Romana
- L. Obojes
- S. Reyer-Völlenklee - Università di Innsbruck
- U. Töchterle
- Manuele Laimer - Università di Innsbruck, Istituto di Archeologia Classica e Provinciale Romana
- Universitá di Innsbruck, Austria (Ist. archeologia classica)
- Università di Innsbruck
- No files have been added yet