Fasti Online Home | Switch To Fasti Archaeological Conservation | Survey
logo

Excavation

  • Pliska - Palace
  • Pliska
  • Pliska
  • Bulgaria
  • Shumen
  • Novi Pazar

Tools

Credits

  • The Bulgarian Database is the result of a collaboration between:

    the Department of Archaeology, Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski and

    AIAC (Associazione Internazionale di Archeologia Classica).

  • AIAC_logo logo

Summary (English)

  • PLISKA (Yanko Dimitrov – yanko_aim@mail.bg, Stanislav Ivanov) Fifty-eight structures were discovered in Sector I in the Northeastern part of the Citadel and four structures were discovered in Sector II in the Southeastern part of the Citadel. The structures in the upper stratum included two buildings/shelters and seven sunken-floored houses with 14 storage and midden pits. Judging from the pottery, the coins, the lead seals and the objects that were found, the structures dated to the second half of the 10th – first decades of the 11th centuries. The finds included three Byzantine lead seals: the first one of Basil II, the second one of Damyan Dobromir – an antipathos, patrikios and dux of Thrace and Mesopotamia at the end of the 10th century, and the third one not identifiable and dated to the end of the 10th – 11th century. The coins included six anonymous Byzantine folles of Class A2 (AD 976 – 1030/1035) and one anonymous follis of Class B (AD 1030/1035 – 1042). A bronze coin of Amisos of the 2nd – 1st century BC was found in a pit, together with sherds of the end of the 10th – beginning of the 11th century. The structures in the lower stratum included a secret underground passage which began from the pagan temple in the Citadel and ended beyond its northern fortification wall, a monumental building located close to the eastern fortification wall of the Citadel, 25 postholes and nine trenches for foundations of timber fences. For certain period, the pagan temple, the building close to the eastern fortification wall of the Citadel and the fence coexisted. Sherds and a small gilded copper bell were found in the trenches.

  • Yanko Dimitrov - Shumen Branch of the Archaeological Institute and Museum 
  • Stanislav Ivanov - Shumen Branch of the Archaeological Institute and Museum 

Director

  • Stanislav Ivanov - Shumen Branch of the Archaeological Institute and Museum
  • Yanko Dimitrov - Shumen Branch of the Archaeological Institute and Museum

Team

Research Body

  • Shumen Branch of the Archaeological Institute and Museum

Funding Body

Images

  • No files have been added yet