The excavations this season were aimed at discovering the early phases of the theatre and to reach conclusions concerning its architectonical structure. The excavations were located in the terrace area, the western entrance and in part of the Hellenistic proscenium. In the terrace area the southern wall of the theatre was discovered, constructed in two phases along with the remains of the sustaining walls. The excavations in this area were stopped, due to the demolition risk. A few remains were found in the western analema including a 15 m long wall. In the proscenium area the remains of a wall were recorded, placed on the foundation level and orientated east-west. During this season, continued excavation in the area of the scaenae frons revealed three main entrances, used to give access to the proscenium. A number of sondages were also undertaken during this season – sondage numbers 4, 7 and 10. Sondage 4 was located in the area of the proscenium, in a refilled hole, representing a grave closed after the construction of the pulpitum. In the same area sondages 7 and 10 revealed no trace of the orchestra floor wall. Pottery, metal objects and coins were recovered during this excavation season.
- Sandro De Maria - Università degli Studi di Bologna, Dipartimento di archeologia
- Shpresa Gjongecaj - Albanian Institute of Archaeology
- Riccardo Villicich - Universita degli Studi di Bologna
- Instituti Arkeologjik Tiranë (Albanian Institute of Archaeology)
- Università degli Studi di Bologna
- Ministero degli Affari Esteri, Italia
- No files have been added yet