The 2017 campaign concentrated on one of the public buildings facing onto the forum of the Roman municipium of Iuvanum (so-called Area 5). The area was investigated in 2011, with the excavation of rooms 6 and 7; this season excavation took place in room 8 situated south of the fauces.
The excavation clarified both the plan of the structure, previously divided into two separate rooms by a masonry wall, and the function of the entire building. In fact, an inscription datable to the 1st century B.C. confirmed the hypothesis that for a certain period the building was the seat of the municipal magistrates the Seviri Augustales.
Room 8 was delimited by walls 874, 871, 1101, 1105, 1104, and 1106. The interior was characterised by US 1100 that covered the room and surrounding walls. Below was a uniform collapse made up of medium to small stones and occasional broken tile. Several iron nails were found in the interface between US 1100 and the collapse, probably from timber beams. Smaller bronze and iron nails were also present, probably relating to wooden furniture or doors and partition walls. The same layer contained a large number of small, thin green and blue glass paste tesserae that were part of the wall decoration. Fragments from slabs and listels made of local red stone was also present, perhaps elements of wall decoration that represented architectural structures.
The substantial layer of wall collapse did not present indicators of high energy and therefore was not caused by traumatic events such as earthquakes, fires, or military action.
The later phases had compromised the evidence for the earlier ones. In fact, there was an occupation level on top of the already destroyed floor surface, which in the north-western part was characterised by terracotta slabs damaged by exposure to heat, perhaps associated with a domestic function. There was no evidence of production activities associated with this cooking surface. In the southern part of the room, there was a furnace associated with a large hole the bottom of which lined with stone elements. The fill contained production waste and a lead casting. The terracotta surface partially built on the razed wall 1118 was probably linked to a production activity. This occupation level is characterised by domestic use and artisan activity and can be attributed a preliminary date, based on the pottery finds, between the late 4th – early 5th century A.D. The perimeter walls of room 8 presented traces of restoration and blocking probably connected with the 346 A.D. earthquake, after which the entire building was presumably reorganised and its function changed.
- Oliva Menozzi - DiSPUTer Università degli Studi “G. d’Annunzio” di Chieti
- Eugenio di Valerio- Università G. d’Annunzio di Chieti-Pescara e Membro della Missione Archeologica UniCh in Libia, Egitto e Cipro
- Sonia Antonelli- Università degli Studi “G. d’Annunzio” Chieti
- Donato Palumbo - Membro della Missione Archeologica UniCh in Libia, Egitto e Cipro.
- Ilaria Zelante
- Enzo Santeusanio
- Patrizia Staffilani - Università degli Studi “G. d’Annunzio” di Chieti-Pescara, Dipartimento di Studi Classici dall’Antico al Contemporaneo,
- Vienna Tordone - Università degli Studi “G. d’Annunzio” di Chieti-Pescara
- Università degli studi G. D’Annunzio di Chieti e Pescara
- No files have been added yet