- No period data has been added yet
- 100 BC - 602 AD
- From 15-30 October 2007, the first season of a program of geophysical survey commenced at the site of Doclea as a joint research project between The British School at Rome (BSR), the Archaeological Prospection Services of Southampton (APSS) and the Universita’ Degli Studi di Urbino. The survey was undertaken on behalf of Dr. Miomir Mugosa, the Mayor of Podgorica, and the Council of Podgorica under the direction of the Museum of Podgorica (Director - Zorica Mrvaljevic, Dr. Dragan Radovic) as part of the wider ‘New Ancient Doclea’ project. The aim of the geophysical survey was to discover the extent of the remains of the ancient Roman town of Doclea through locating and mapping the presence of subsurface archaeological features, for the purpose of preserving and developing the site as a national heritage site, and where possible to help pinpoint potential areas for excavation. In the central portion of the west area our survey revealed one complete insula block, with inner courtyards and cortiles, and possibly the top portion of a second insula block. The strength and form of the signal suggests there is significant ceramic material surviving beneath the surface. The rest of this west area was largely devoid of archaeological features suggesting that this area represents the outer limit of the Roman urban development. The size and orientation of the insulae make it possible to establish the wider town plan. The eastern portion of our survey area contains the most well preserved standing monumental structures, and in the immediate surroundings the survey revealed buried building complexes in the area directly to the east and west of the forum. There is also a possible street running alongside the forum which is strong evidence to support the projected town plan of Doclea.
- In the period from October to November, excavation was carried out on the site of Roman town Doclea in Podgorica.The site was situated on the eastern side of the forum where presumably two main streets were crossed each other. This site was marked with No. IX on the map made by Italian archaeologist Stikotti in 1913. Some of this area was investigated in excavations that took place in 2005, which were suddenly stopped. The excavation showed that building IX was built on the remains of an older building of which segments of the foundations were preserved in segments, at a relative depth of 120 cm, from the average height of visible walls. We cannot talk about the dimensions of the older building but it is obvious that its foundations were made of broken limestone. The demolition of the older building occurred at the end of the 1st Century AD which was confirmed by coins. Building IX can be perceived well, although it hasn’t been fully investigated yet. The structure covers a space of over than 2000 m2. There was atrium in the central part with probable dimensions of 25 x 25 m. From the western and southern side of the atrium there was a line of several insulae and a wide portico. There were three wide entrances from the main street (width of 220-250 cm) into the atrium space. One could enter through one entrance from the western side while the northern and eastern sides were still not defined. The excavation of room 3/IX gives us the most data about the intensive life in building IX. In this room, occupation took place in at least four stages that can be traced on the base of construction works. Unfortunately, it is still difficult to talk about the chronology of these stages. The coins on the floor of this room testify that occupation took place at the end of the second and during the third century. The pit found in this room has significant importance, because it may represent hiding place where a scared craftsman put his iron ax that he used for stone treatment. Beside that tool, he put several coins of which two were made of silver. On the face of one coin is represented woman with the inscription IVLIA MAESA AVG (218-222).
- During the period from March 1st to March 10th 2012, a topographical survey was carried out with the aim of recording the wall remains and visible architectural objects of ancient Doclea. The field work also consisted of recording the preserved sections of the wall and registering these with geopositioning. The interpretation of the received data was presented as an article in the Collection of New Ancient Doclea III. The goal of the survey was to create a unique site map, so that the exact proportions could be viewed and the area of Doclea city could be calculated. The necessity of this recording lies in the fact that the last urban map of Doclea was done in the beginning of the 20th century and published in P. Sticotti’s work of 1912. During the field work, over 1000 points were collected using a total station TCR407. For the starting geo-reference points, the points set up by the Montenegro Railways were taken and used as stations for recording the whole wall. The main project was focused on the wall, which is poorly preserved. Also, the visible, conserved structures in the surrounded space were recorded: the forum, the civic basilica, the large and small thermal springs and the capitoline temple. After field work, there was computer data processing. On the new plan, the current status of the structures was recorded: some buildings such as capitoline temple being incorporated for the first time into the Doclea urban plan. With the use of Sticotti’s plan, based on the oriented points which were taken in the field for some structures, additional buildings recorded at the end of 19th century were included in the plan. Many of these structures are in ruins today, or covered with the material used for the railway. The result was the reconstruction of the city plan, with possible mistakes regarding parts of the wall, which was badly destroyed, and those objects whose position was no longer visible in the field, and for which it was not possible to recover the orientation.
- S. Hay, S. Kay, L. Pett, 2008, Geophysics at Doclea (Montenegro). Poster presented at International Congress of Classical Archaeology - XVII. Meetings Between Cultures in the Ancient Mediterranean, 22-26 September 2008, Rome.
- J.A.R. Munro, W.C.F. Anderson, J.G. Milne, F. Haverfield, 1894, On The Roman Town Of Doclea, in Montenegro in Archaeologia LV: 33-92.
- P. Sticotti, 1913, Die römische Stadt Doclea in Montenegro, Kaiserliche Akademie der Wissenschaften, Schriften der Balkankommission, Antiquarische Abteilung 6, Wien.