- No period data has been added yet
- 300 BC - 79 AD
- In September 2007, a systematic campaign of geophysical survey was conducted over extensive and strategically placed areas situated in two unexcavated zones of _Pompeii_, between the _Regiones_ III and IX. This work enabled the examination of the main roads and the layout of the _insulae_ present, and the reconstruction of the urban grid in the city’s eastern sector. In order to achieve these objectives geophysical methods were designed which combined a significant depth of subsurface penetration, in order to overcome to the depth of the volcanic deposits covering the structures, while maintaining a relatively sharp definition in view of theproject aims. On the basis of the experience matured during previous surveys on small areas, it was decided to use two survey methods, electro-tomography combined with georadar. Following their acquisition the electrical and radar data were subjected to processing and 2D and 3D interpolation with the aim of highlighting the indications deriving from the data distribution and the derived structural information. The road network in the eastern quarters of the city, whose layout was the result of the urban restructuring of the “new city” in the Samnite period, as well as being delimited by the Via di Nola and the Via dell’Abbondanza, had another road running through the middle: the via _mefiu_ (or _mefiru_ ). The _decumanus_, which runs between Via dell’Abbondanza and Via di Nola, ending in correspondence with Tower VII (_ tíurri mefira_ ), is the only road in the city whose original name is known. It is written, together with the tower’s name, in an Oscan inscription of 89 B.C. (Vetter 28). The internal arrangement of the spaces, characterised by a noticeable alternation of built up areas and others without walled remains, is reflected in the distribution pattern of this discontinuity. The most built up strip is that aligned with the road itself, whilst the empty zones are situated behind the buildings suggesting the existence of _domus_ with gardens and green areas.
- Lara Anniboletti, Valentina Befani, Paolo Boila. 2009. Progetto “Rileggere Pompei”: per una nuova forma urbis della città. Le indagini geofisiche nell’area non scavata e l’urbanizzazione del settore orientale . FOLD&R Italy: 148.
- L. Anniboletti, V. Befani, R. Cassetta, C. Costantino, M. Antolini, T. Cinaglia, P. Leone, R. Proietti, Pompei: Progetto “Regio VI”- I primi secoli di Pompei - Aggiornamento 2007, in www. fastionline.org/docs/ FOLDER-it-2007-84.pdf.
- F. Coarelli, F. Pesando, Pompei: Progetto Regio VI. Aggiornamento 2005, in www. fastionline.org/docs/ FOLDER-it-2006-54.pdf.